Sunday, January 4, 2015

31 Day Challenge, Day 3 "Water Spotting" Hot Pink = Summertime in Winter! (with instructions)

Here's my experience...

At first water spotting was pure hell! It took me about three hours to figure it out (with breaks because the baby was awake for part of the time...so more like six hours!) I tried using using two kinds of body spray and one hair shine spray to see what kind of product made the best "spots" in the top color. Your best bet? Rubbing alcohol. I just emptied out a small spray bottle and filled it with rubbing alcohol.

I practiced on my non-dominant hand with a pearly magenta base color. I tried five different top colors on five different fingers. I actually tried about 15-20 polishes, but some didn't spread on the water or the colors were not bold enough. I learned that the more contrast the better.

So I decided to try a white base. Yes, I cleaned up the edges with a make-up brush and acetone.


Then I got lucky and tried a really fun color, which is Pink Cream by Sinful Colors. It has a little bit of a pearl effect which looked pretty on top of he water.



I finally found the perfect materials and colors, and once that was done I thoroughly enjoyed the water spotting technique! I added a rhinestone to my ring finger (which I've come to realize is sort of my signature), slapped on a fast drying top coat and was very pleased with this vibrant manicure!


Here's the colors and some additional products I used to make things go a little smoother:
Base color - Sinful colors - Snow Me White
Top color - Sinful colors - Pink Cream
Base coat - Sally Hansen double duty base and top coat
Top coat - Sally Hansen Insta-Dri
Filtered water
Small bowl
Orange manicure stick
Isopropyl alcohol
Small spray bottle
Petroleum jelly
Wide paint brush
Baby wipes
Acetone
Elf make-up brush
Clear rhinestone
Nail glue



The Process

1. Use a small bowl, not too wide, and fill it with room temperature filtered water
2. Choose your colors and make sure your top color spreads on the water
3. Paint the petroleum jelly around your nail, up your front and back of finger and under your nail if you have long nails
3. Drop your top color into the water and watch it spread. I used about 6-8 drops per finger.
4. Hold the spray bottle back a bit, spray on top of the polish, watch the little bubbles form
5. Choose the spot that you like best, and dip your finger in at a 45 degree angle, nail facing down, keep finger in the water.
6. Blow on the nail polish floating in the bowl to dry it, then clean it out of the bowl with the orange manicure stick.
7. Once all the nail polish is removed from the water, pull your finger out.
8. Use baby wipe to clean up the nail polish and petroleum jelly that is on your finger.
9. Repeat these steps on all fingers.
10. Use a stiff (eye liner/shadow) make-up brush dipped in acetone to clean up and remaining polish on your cuticles or fingers.
11. Apply any appliques you may want to use.
12. Apply top coat.


That's how I did it and it worked great.




There it is, and now I kinda wish I was at the beach sipping on a fruity drink...and the kids were with a babysitter. A girl can dream, right?

I hope you enjoy, and if you have any questions about this manicure shoot me a comment down below. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment